The World Porifera Database
The WPD, the World Database of all Recent sponges ever described, is part of the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), a global initiative to arrive at a register of all marine organisms.
The WPD is complementary to the Systema Porifera (editors Hooper & Van Soest, 2002),
the two volume comprehensive classification of all sponge taxa above the species level. It incorporates recent and future amendments of the sponge classification, including the recently proposed revision of Morrow & Cárdenas (2015).
Two new hexactinellids from NW Pacific seamount
Added on: 2022-05-19 13:32:18 by Dohrmann, MartinShen C., Cheng H., Zhang D., Wang C. 2022. Two new species and one new genus of glass sponges (Hexactinellida: Euplectellidae and Euretidae), from a transect on a seamount in the Nortwestern Pacific Ocean. Front. Mar. Sci. 9:852498. ...
New records of Fibulia myxillioides from the SW Atlantic
Added on: 2022-05-03 14:43:22 by van Soest, Rob W.M.Schejter, L.; Cristobo, J.; Ríos, P. (2022) Rediscovering Fibulia myxillioides (Burton, 1932) (Porifera, Poecilosclerida) in the SW Atlantic Ocean. Pan-American Journal of Aquatic Sciences 17 (1): 16-25. ...
Hg content in cortex & choanosome of Chondrosia reniformis
Added on: 2022-04-25 10:05:24 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleRoveta, C.; Annibaldi, A.; Calcinai, B.; Girolametti, F.; Illuminati, S.; Mantas, T. P.; Truzzi, C.; Puce, S. (2022). Distribution of mercury inside the Mediterranean sponge Chondrosia reniformis: A study case from the Tuscan Archipelago National Park (Tyrrhenian Sea). Journal of Sea Research. 102206. ...
Synonymy of Abyssocladia mucronata with Echinostylinos gorgonopsis
Added on: 2022-04-20 10:17:45 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleVacelet, J.; Kelly, M. (2022) Synonymy of Abyssocladia mucronata Vacelet, 2020 with Echinostylinos gorgonopsis Lévi, 1993. Zootaxa 5128 (2): 298–300 ...
A Caribbean Haliclona in Mediterranean
Added on: 2022-04-07 19:05:42 by Boury-Esnault, NicoleBertolino, M.; Costa, G.; Ruocco, N.; Esposito, R.; De Matteo, S.; Zagami, G.; Costantini, M. (2022). First certain record of Demospongiae class (Porifera) alien species from the Mediterranean Sea. Marine Genomics. 63: 100951. ...
[Add] [Older news... ]
The aim for the WPD is to be a catalogue of sponge species in a continuously updated, fully hierarchical system to promote stability of sponge names, to serve the community of users of sponge names, and to act as a tool for higher taxon revisions and regional monographs. A further aim is to be the world’s comprehensive database for sponge type specimens and other important vouchered specimens. Additional information we are making available are (overview) distributions of all species and unaccepted name combinations occurring in the literature.
In order to have adequate expert knowledge we have formed an editorial committee consisting of:
and the following specialist colleagues:
Editors are responsible for entries, decision on validity of names. Corrections and omissions may be addressed to the relevant editor or the general editor.
- Alvarez, Belinda: Porifera (Axinellida, Bubarida, Scopalinida, Suberitida)
- Boury-Esnault, Nicole: Porifera (Homoscleromorpha, Keratosa, Polymastiida, Verongimorpha, Mediterranean fauna)
- Carballo, José Luis: Porifera (East Pacific)
- Cárdenas, Paco: Porifera (Tetractinellida)
- Díaz, Maria-Cristina: Thematic editor: Porifera (Caribbean fauna)
- Dohrmann, Martin: Porifera (Hexactinellida)
- Downey, Rachel: Porifera (Antarctic)
- Goodwin, Claire: Porifera
- Hajdu, Eduardo: Porifera (Biemnida, Desmacellida, Poecilosclerida, South American fauna)
- Hooper, John N.A.: Porifera (Poecilosclerida, Australian fauna)
- Kelly, Michelle: Thematic editor: Porifera (New Zealand fauna)
- Klautau, Michelle: Porifera (Calcarea)
- Lim, Swee Cheng: Porifera
- Manconi, Renata: Porifera (Spongillida, freshwater sponges)
- Morrow, Christine: Thematic editor: Porifera (North Atlantic fauna)
- Pisera, Andrzej B.: Porifera (desma-bearing and coralline sponges)
- Ríos, Pilar: Porifera (Poecilosclerida & thematic editor for Iberian and Northwest African regions)
- Rützler, Klaus: Porifera (Spirophorina)
- Schönberg, Christine: Porifera (Clionaida, Siphonodictyon, Thoosidae)
- Vacelet, Jean: Porifera (Cladorhizidae, carnivorous sponges)
- van Soest, Rob W.M.: Porifera (Previous chief editor 2004/2021)
Currently (2022), there are 9,490 valid species (marine + non-marine) in the database (among almost 20,000 taxon names).
Acceptance is an editorial decision, but we acknowledge such decisions need to be re-examined frequently in the light of new information. If you disagree with senior synonymy decisions or genus assignments, please let us have your - argumented - corrected assignment. More info.
Who is who in sponge science
This global address list reflects information collated through annual surveys posted on mailing lists (PoriferaList, CoraList and Skolithos) and by contacting some people directly. The information was collected and made available by Christine Schönberg.
Sponge conference materials
This is a record of abstracts, proceedings and other materials from sponge meetings and symposia.
CitationUsage of data from the World Porifera Database in scientific publications should be acknowledged by citing as follows:
If the data from the World Porifera Database constitute a substantial proportion of the records used in analyses, the chief editor(s) of the database should be contacted. There may be additional data which may prove valuable to such analyses.
- de Voogd, N.J.; Alvarez, B.; Boury-Esnault, N.; Carballo, J.L.; Cárdenas, P.; Díaz, M.-C.; Dohrmann, M.; Downey, R.; Hajdu, E.; Hooper, J.N.A.; Kelly, M.; Klautau, M.; Manconi, R.; Morrow, C.C. Pisera, A.B.; Ríos, P.; Rützler, K.; Schönberg, C.; Vacelet, J.; van Soest, R.W.M. (2022). World Porifera Database. Accessed at https://www.marinespecies.org/porifera on 2022-05-22. doi:10.14284/359
Individual pages are individually authored and dated. These can be cited separately: the proper citation is provided at the bottom of each page.